How to Apply for Social Services

upcoming events

go to calendar

If you think that you might be eligible for Food and Nutrition Services and want you apply, you need to:

  • Call or go to the local department of social services for an application or ask them to mail you an application.
  • Fill out the application as much as you can. Put your name and street address on the form and sign it.
  • Return the application back to your local department of social services office.
  • Have an interview. You can do your interview over the phone or you can have a friend or relative go to the interview in your place.
  • Show the local office important papers such as pay stubs, receipts for rent or mortgage payments, utility bills, child or elder care bills, child support court orders and cancelled checks. Proof of identity and proof of income are also needed.
  • After reviewing your application, the local office worker will tell you if you qualify and how much you will receive.
  • Call  The Food and Nutritional Services Unit  1-252-789-4430 for other details.
How to Apply: If possible, take the items listed below with you when you go to the DSS office to apply.

  • Certified birth certificates or other proof of citizenship/alien status for each individual applying for Medicaid/NCHC
  • Identity documents for each individual applying for Medicaid/NCHC
  • Social security cards, social security numbers, or proof that you have made an application for a number from the Social Security Office, for each individual applying for Medicaid or NCHC
  • A copy of all pay stubs for the last 3 months
  • Copies of all medical or life insurance policies
  • A list of all cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. you or anyone in your household own, including the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) for each item
  • Most recent bank statements
  • A list of all real property you own
  • Current financial statements/award letters from other sources of income, such as social security, retirement benefits, pensions, veteran benefits, and child support.
  • If you are unable to go to a DSS office, you may also print and mail completed Medicaid Applications to your local DSS office, or you may call and ask that an application be mailed to you.  Faxed applications and applications received over the internet are not acceptable.  Some health centers and hospitals have application forms available and may be able to assist you in completing them. 
  • For more information, please contact Martin County Department of Social Services at 1-(252) 789-4400 and ask for someone in Adult Medicaid

Apply for Family and Children's Medicaid?

What will I need to complete my application?

Become a Foster Parent?

Make a Child Protective Services Report?

Make an Adult Protective Services Report?

Find out if I am eligible for CAP/DA?

Apply for Work First Family Assistance?

Apply for Medical Transportation?

Apply for Crisis Intervention Program (CIP)?

Apply for LIEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program)

Apply for Adult Medicaid?

Be prepared when disaster strikesSign Up for Hyper-Reach  Alerts

Sign Up